As a kid, you were probably told to drink orange juice because Vitamin C keeps you healthy. The same idea applies to your skin as an adult. Vitamin C is a powerhouse ingredient, leaving skin looking brighter and tighter. It improves everything from skin texture to tone and targets inflammation as well as hyperpigmentation.
Using vitamin C topically helps skin look glowing and luminous as if you regularly get eight hours of sleep. Vitamin C helps build collagen as well, which leads to firmer skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines. It’s also a powerful antioxidant, helping to protect the face from harmful free radicals.
Before you add vitamin C to your skincare regimen, there are a few things to keep in mind. The body doesn’t produce vitamin C; it has to be absorbed through food or applied topically to the skin. Vitamin C based products come in gels, creams, oils, and powders. One of the best forms of vitamin C is a serum, which is lightweight and can be layered under moisturizer.
To boost the benefit of a vitamin C serum, l-ascorbic acid (another name for vitamin C) is often combined with hyaluronic acid to add hydration, as well as ferulic acid, which extends the life and effectiveness of vitamin C.
As with many beauty ingredients, vitamin C breaks down when exposed to water and oxygen, and products can become less effective over time. Try to choose serums packaged in dark bottles. Some companies have tackled this by offering a powdered vitamin C, which is always fresh and activated by adding water.
Read the label carefully to see how much pure vitamin C- usually listed as L-Ascorbic Acid- the product contains. Some products with high concentrations can irritate the skin so start with a lower dose and build up to a higher formula.
5 Vitamin C Serum Benefits
The star ingredient in any vitamin C serum is a high dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for good skin health working to promote new collagen growth, visibly reduce the signs of age in the skin, and protect the skin from environmental damage and premature aging. And because your skin does not naturally produce vitamin C, a vitamin C serum is the perfect way to get all of these powerful vitamin benefits.
- Vitamin C serum helps protect skin from sun damage. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and in a vitamin C serum, those powers work to protect the skin from the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun. A vitamin C serum can also help to strengthen your skin, enabling its defense against environmental stressors and agitators. For the best protection, be sure to combine a vitamin C serum with sunscreen as it is not intended to replace your traditional sunscreen options.
- Vitamin C serum helps to heal the skin. A good vitamin C serum can help to accelerate the skin’s ability to heal itself. This is especially great for helping to common skin conditions like acne scarring and sunburn. A vitamin C serum can provide a bit of relief from burning and itching and can even help to reduce the appearance of redness in the skin.
- Vitamin C serum helps stimulate collagen production. One of the reasons that vitamin C serums are a common anti-aging skincare favorite is because they have the ability to promote collagen production. Collagen is an essential protein in your skin that decreases with age causing the skin to lose its firmness and elasticity. With a vitamin C serum, increased collagen production can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles leaving you with naturally youthful appearing skin.
- Vitamin C serum helps reduce skin discoloration. You’ll typically find that many natural based dark spot healing creams are infused with vitamin C. That’s because vitamin C is great for helping fade skin discoloration. With the high concentration that is infused in a vitamin C serum, it is able to target stubborn skin discolorations like redness, hyperpigmentation, and under-eye circles. The Organa team love Vitamin C for this particular skin concern.
- Vitamin C serum helps to brighten the complexion. Right alongside reducing skin discolorations, vitamin C serums help to even and brighten the complexion. The high dose of this known brightener helps to make the skin look more radiant and healthy. A good vitamin C serum will not only brighten the complexion but give your skin an overall more rejuvenated glow.
Look out for some great Vitamin C serums available in The Shop soon!